“I-Scream”

This week we made ice cream. We used milk, sugar, snow and salt. First we mixed the milk and the sugar together in a red cup. After that, we stuffed it into two ziplock bags. We filled an even larger ziplock with snow then stuffed the milk inside it. After that, we checked the temperature (it was thirty degrees) then we put salt into the snow and checked the temperature (it was zero degrees). The reason the temperature dropped so quickly is because the salt melted the snow and the cold fumes were released. Then, Molly and I, tossed the bag around for a while to get the “ice cream” cold enough to freeze. We dropped it one too many times and the bottom of the snow bag gave way so we had to end the tossing right then and there. Though the dessert wasn’t quite frozen enough to be ice cream it was a sort of sugary slushy. Tavo did find another way to turn it to ice cream: to put the cup into the snow. It worked, partially.

Did the condensation of the closed bag make it any colder as well?

Why does normal ice cream taste so much different?

Exactly how long does it take to fully freeze it?

3 thoughts on ““I-Scream”

1. Dear Alex,

cool thing that you guys did–yum!! I wanna do that. That’s really cool Alex. I find it intresting on how the salt made the temp go to 0 digrease. I wonder what the scientific thing is that makes the salt do that, Or what makes it do that. Good quistains on the ice cream, I wonder what the answers are also.

1. Dear Michael,
      I’m pretty sure the salt somehow lowers the freezing point of the water, making the snow a lot warmer. Thank you for your positive feedback.
      Sincerely,
      Alex

2. Dear Alex,
    I like how you gave detail on what we did and how we did it. I think that normal ice cream tastes so different because they use special machines and some more sugar and other stuff. I like how you included the degrees of the snow, I thought that was cool too.
    – Avery