Common Minke Whale

Balaenoptera acutorostrata

I am a common minke whale. I am fifteen which means I have just reached maturity. Our conservation status is least concern. We can live up to fifty years though. It was the winter, that means I was swimming south to mate. We can live through Alaska, Southeast, West Coast, New England,  Pacific Islands, Mid-Atlantic. I spend most of my time alone. I enjoy making crackling chirps louder than jets taking off. I also love to jump into the air and dive deep down into the water. I can hold my breath up to fifteen minutes and can swim at speeds of twenty-four miles per hour.

I like hanging around coral reefs because there are a lot of krill and small schooling fish to munch on. I have two-hundred thirty to three-hundred sixty cream colored baleen plates in my mouth that filter out bits and pieces that I don’t want to eat. On my way down south I also enjoyed spyhopping ice, which is where I peep my head out of small chunks of ice. On my way I’m also making sure to watch out for great whites and orcas who might want a bite of me. See you in the south!